Transition Delay

A couple of times I've forgotten to transition Janet's Family Pets from Geocities hosting to Yahoo Hosting. As a Geocities Plus account holder, this site didn't have scramble to find a new free host because I was already paying for this one. As such Yahoo is allowing GPlus and GPro account holders to stay with them. Now that the deadline has passed I'm supposed to transition over. But there's a delay due to the transition pages at Yahoo don't account for web masters owning their own domain name already.

That's the first step in the transition: searching for and buying a domain name. I already have one that I was using by forwarding it to the Geocities URL. I' m no novice when it comes to domain name ownership. (Just because Geocities was the first step in building sites on the web for most web masters doesn't mean they/ we were stuck in the novice state of mind.) I don't need a new domain name. But the page doesn't ask if you already own a domain name that you want to use. Even if you type in your domain name and it comes up as being unavailable. (Is it yours?) Of course it's unavailable because I own it and I  want to use it, dammit. 

So I'm stuck at that point in the transition. All because someone didn't think of all the possibilities, didn't think through the details, at Yahoo. I wrote to them and am awaiting their response. They may lose me as a customer if something doesn't change in the transition process. Hey, it won't bother me because I already have a paid webhost where I moved my free Geocities sites. One more will not be a problem and may be preferable. That way I will save some money. Hmm, not a bad idea. But I'll give Yahoo a chance to respond. To the end of this month.

Comments

Popular Posts