Dog on the Loose!

Last night some women walking in the neighborhood found a dog wandering around. From the collar tags they knew where the dog lived, but the residents weren't home. Those residents are our neighbors and we know them.

The women didn't know what to do with the dog. They didn't want to take him home, because they lived a few streets away. So I volunteered to have them put the dog in our back yard. Little did I know how big the dog was. I'm used to small dogs like our Bo. This dog, who I always heard but never saw, is big. I'm not sure what breed he is, but most likely a hound of some sort. He's the same size as a golden retriever or Labrador.

Anyway, when one of the women talked to me about the dog, I thought she mentioned a female name. So on the note I wrote to the neighbors, I said "Abby" had escaped their yard and was in our back yard. My husband came home then and I made him put the note on their door.

Then he came back and went outside. I went out, too, then noticed the dog was not a female. The hubby looked at the collar tags and it was for "Bruce." Ah, now who is Abby? Back went the hubby to change the name on the note, so they wouldn't think we had the wrong dog.

While Bruce was outside exploring our back yard, our dog was inside. Eventually he noticed the new dog and wanted to go out to investigate. But I don't know how Bruce and Bo would react to each other, although Bruce is quite friendly, so no meet-and-greet for them.

We ate dinner and Bruce barked. I gave Bruce a Dentabone (and Bo a dog biscuit so he wouldn't feel left out) which he ate in five minutes. Bo normally takes about 20 minutes or so eating the same thing. That treat apparently wasn't enough and maybe he wanted in the house, so he stood at the patio door barking.

Then he found a ball somewhere in the yard and began chewing on it at the patio door. That kept him quiet for awhile until he got tired of it. Then he began another round of barking. And more barking.

Finally around 9:30 the neighbors came home and knocked on the door. They got their Bruce back. Now, I hope they fix whatever allowed Bruce to escape from their back yard.

Back story: Bruce is their second dog. Their home's back yard is against the greenbelt and someone poisoned their first dog who was also a barker. Hopefully, that perpetrator doesn't do the same to Bruce. Bruce is such a sweetie.

Comments

Popular Posts