Don't Give Your Old Dog Spicy Bones...

Unless you want a messy butt dog.

Days before we went on vacation we had some slow-cooked barbeque short ribs for dinner. I usually give Bo the larger short rib bones to chew on after I've washed the bones thoroughly of barbeque sauce. That time I didn't do too good a job of washing them. A day or so later, when I was taking him over to my parents' house and he needed a pit stop, he had diarrhea. Not in the car, thank goodness, but on the grassy parking strip at a fast food restaurant.

I cleaned up the mess as best as I could with a disposable pooper scooper, napkins, and water. Again, thank goodness he didn't have a mess on his butt...this time. I warned my parents about his problem, but apparently it cleared up a day later.

So when I picked up Bo after we returned home from vacation, my mom gave me, guess what? Barbeque short ribs. And what did I do? Gave one bone to Bo after we got home. And what happened next? You guessed it.

He started having messy poop again two days ago. Not diarrhea exactly but soft poop. He was fine, butt wise, until this afternoon. Clump hanging from his butt. Ughh. I didn't want to let him back in the house. I grabbed a roll of toilet paper and a plastic bag and went outside. I wet his butt with water from the garden hose, which he didn't like because it was cold. Then using the toilet paper, grabbed as much of the poop as I could. I still didn't want him inside so he stayed outside whining at the patio door. Later, I gave him about 2-1/2 mg (1/2 tsp) of bismuth with a syringe -- he didn't like it -- after reading about at-home treatment for "the runs" in dogs. Still didn't let him inside. He whined some more.

I prepared myself mentally and physically to clean him. I got out some surgical gloves, doggie shampoo, bathroom cleaner to clean the bathtub afterwards, a towel, and set the pet shower head in the "on" position. Then I let him stay outside until I couldn't stand to hear him whining any more and got the resolve to wash his butt.

Finally around 6 p.m. after his whining got really pathetic, I let him in and walked to the bathroom. He followed. For some reason, he has a fascination with getting bathed, so telling him he needs a bath doesn't faze him. He took to the warm water better and I washed him twice, with the surgical gloves on.

Now we've got a clean butt dog and I'm never, ever going to give him barbeque short rib bones again. Lesson learned the hard way.

Comments

Popular Posts